PIE DAY IS A SMASHING SUCCESS

Christy Jenkins-Dietz(left) and Michael Manser(right), after the Math Honors Societys Pi Day celebration.

Photo courtesy of The Watchdog

Christy Jenkins-Dietz(left) and Michael Manser(right), after the Math Honors Society’s Pi Day celebration.

During the Pie Day celebration in March, Christy Jenkins-Dietz, math teacher, surprised her pie-thrower, Michal Manser, Grade 10,  by fighting back. When their pie brawl was over, both the Jenkins-Dietz and Manser were covered in whipped cream. About a hundred students, all members of the Math Honor Society, stood laughing and applauding. 

“The students love it,” said Jenkins-Dietz.  “It is fun and a great time for the kids to hang out together.”

PI day is an annual event that the students came up with a few years ago to pie the sponsors of MHS. With this year it being made into a fundraiser, students had to pay $0.25 per ticket, to place their chosen teachers names in a cup to get pied. This year five officers were able to get pied, and currently, there are about 117 members in the Math Honor Society.

According to Jenkins-Dietz, Pi is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. It does not matter how big or how small the circle is the ratio stays the same, Pi is useful to express angles in metric form. It allows us to get an exact answer and not use a decimal approximation. PI is also  the 16th letter of the Greek alphabet 

“It is truly wonderful to see the students involved, invested, and excited about this event,” said Scott Wultor, math teacher.  “They really got into it, cheered when we all got pied, and as a teacher, their joy made me extremely happy that I’m in the profession I’m in.”